Punk Rock Cover Songs

Nowadays its no longer that special to hear a punk band playing covers of old pop music, New Wave and folk but and come to think of it, way back when I was still in college it is a very rare phenomenon and that even playing punk rock doesn't merit at that time since almost everyone I know that listens to rock music would easily dismiss punk as some sloppy musical genre that desrves to be shelved in the history books, they'd rather listen to Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slapshock, Cheese and all those other growling moronic jocks at that time than listen to simplistic punks who could get by with three chords and a hook.

Going to cover songs I remember it a couple of years ago I got into a forum in indiefilipino discussion concerning cover songs that was then when I realized that a lot of the music that I love are mostly cover songs, and anyways here's what I posted there:


I love seeing and hearing you punk bands playing classic punk anthems.



For example

Blink 182 played GenerationX's "Dancing With Myself" in the Five Years on the Streets sampler of Vagrant Records Face to Face played lots of classic punk covers from the Ramones, Fugazi, The Pougues among others in their Standards and Practices album, but I really loved their take on the Descendents' "Bikeage" on their Big Choice album . Same goes with MxPx's cover of the Ramones' "The KKK Took My Baby Away." on their At the Show live record. Or Greenday's cover of the Who's "My Generation" from their Kerplunk album or The Offspring's cover of "I Wanna Be Sedated" again from the Ramones. As well as that NoFX and Rancid split CD where they covered each others song I really find that stuff cool.

As well as those cover songs done by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Bodyjar's take on SImon & Garfunkel's "Hazy Shades of Winter" could be noted as a good cover of a classic song.

Same goes also for the following covers of these artists:

Pennywise (Surfin USA, The Beachboys) from the Music For Mother Ocean Compilation vol.2

Mr. T Experience (Is There Something I Should Know?, Duran Duran) from The Duran Duran Tribute Album

Riverfenix (Ordinary World, Duran Duran) from The Duran Duran Tribute Album

7 Seconds (99 Red Balloons, Nena) I forgot the title of this album...

The Lemonheads (Mrs. Robinson, Simon & Garfunkel) from their Its a Shame About Ray album

Reel Big Fish (Take on Me, A-Ha) from the OST of Baseketball

Save Ferris (Come On Eileen, Dexy's Midnight Runner) from

The Sex Pistols (My Way, Frank Sinatra) from the OST of The Great Rock n Roll Swindle

Mest (I Melt With You, Modern English) from the OST of Not Another Teen Movie

A New Found Glory (The Glory of Love, Peter Cetera) on their From Their to Your Stereos

Goldfinger (I Love You More Today Than Yesterday, Spiral Staircase) from the OST of The Waterboy

Smashmouth (Why Can't We Be Friends?) from the OST of Baseketball

Buck-O-Nine (Pass the Dutchie, Musical Youth) on the Barfly EP

Down by Law (500 Miles, The Proclaimers) from their punkrockacademyfightsongs album

The Hippos (Always SOmething There to Remind Me, Naked Eyes) again I forgot the title of the record

The Muffs (Kids In America,) from the OST of Clueless

Ghotti Hook (Walking on Sunshine, Katrina & The Waves) from a mixtape that I got from my friend

NoFX (Vincent, Don McLean) on the Survival of the Fatest compilation of FatWreck Chords

Hi-Standard (Kid's Are ALright, The Who) which I downloaded from the Internet

Counting Crows (The Ghost in You, Psychedelic Furs) from the OST of Clueless

What I don't like is when metalheads (i.e. Metallica,Megadeth,Biohazard, Slayer) cover Ramones, Sex Pistols, Stooges, DRI and Misfits songs and then they putt some complex guitar riffs on them thus destroying the classic back to basics element of the original song.

No comments: