Dangerous TV Habits

Back before I became a part of Greenpeace I spent a good portion of my time being much a slob and getting by with my knack to watching whatever trash was available on TV and in looking back I can't help but admit how hooked I am with them now.

Here are just a few of them shows:

Jojo A All the Way - Watching this program makes me remember my cousin, Noel back when he was staying in our house where he'd make up stories how our household was very much like That's Entertainment and he'd always pretend that he was Kimpee De Leon and another cousin of ours was Romnick Sarmienta, well anyways the program reminds me of those times. Jojo is a very cool Conan O'Brien rip-off (speaking of O'Brien, I just learned yesterday that Baby O'Brien still has a career in TV; the bands there play lousy loud rock n' roll that you used to hear in LA 105 (e.g. Dead Nails, Kerplunk, and other bands in Tone Def Records), makes me proud that my band pretentiously hides under the moniker of being 'underground'. Another plus is that it gives you a good laugh if in any case you'd come across Jovit Moya in SM Megamall, just like I did a few months back. It also serves as something that me, Mark (of PayItForward) and Peejay (of Slumber Army Productions) can bond with. Plus there's Mike Unson there whom you can also see in Studio 23's Mens Room.

Chowtime Na! - As a bum I'd drag myself out of bed at around 11 am and then drink coffee and then I'd go back to lie in my bed again and watch TV in my room. I'm usually torn between watching those home TV shopping shows in hopes of somehow catching the advert section for Buster Cat Roach & Mouse Repellent (where you'd see mice and even rats hurled at unsuspecting Chinese girls); and Chowtime whereupon the latter wins hands down. I mean who could say no to seeing Hubes formerly of Tropang Trumpo and Mike Chan. Or constantly hearing the tag line: "Ilang-Ilang Restaurant in Ilang-Ilang St., Binondo Manila!" Or having April Boy, Angelica Jones, and the lesser brother of Rico Yan Bobby in the same show with a lot of other nobody's. Too bad though its now a lousy game show but seeing Muncher green peas as its main sponsor and seeing Onemig there gives me a realization that nothing good can last even if you were once part of the TGIS crew.

Walang Tulugan With The Master Showman - It's hard to determine what it is with Kuya Germs really, I mean I can't really tell if I like watching him or because he reminds me of a late uncle of mine that shared his fashion sense of putting glitters on his tuxedo. Well anyways if you ask me what is it to like about this, I'd tell you what's not to like about it there's John Nite & Shirley Fuentes who have never gotten out of the role of being Kuya Germs' lap dogs. There's also those cool dance numbers, that reminds you of GMA Super Show and you'd remember that episode when Kris Aquino fell off the stage during a production number. Or how sometimes Kuya Germs would blurt out very funny comments like that one time when the candidates for Mr. Universe guested there he commented: "ang sasarap nila" to John Nite or when he'd be careless about his gestures towards muscle bounded men, like when the Masculados performed there he suddenly ran towards them after their performance giving them slices of 3M Pizza, out of concern. Plus last weeks episode was a killer since it featured a reunion of That's Entertainment and I saw Rita Avila there, proving that there's life for her after Seiko Films.

Top 10 Best Movie Trailers of The Week, Compiled by Teddy Hayden Lim - The show is quite passe nowadays, but there's sentimental value to it. Though still if you ask me its quite a lousy show when compared to Movies To Watch (you know the one that has the photo of an eye as its banner?), I don't know about you but I am not a fan of this program before, because as I've said earlier I watch Movies To Watch on GMA early in the morning right after the old-school signature sign-on of the channel that shows a choir singing the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. Well, anyways the show is lame, but lame enough to be considered cool. I mean not only are those films there are the top 10 they're not even movies they're trailers and not only are they in the top 10 but they're the best, whoa! And there's also this question that I have as to how come is Jim Carey's The Mask still there (well, the same goes to Movies To Watch, since Baby Ama's trailer is still shown there, up to until 1994 and it was released somewhere around 1981 or something). Also can American Ninja (which starred Michael Dudikof) or Delta Force (which starred Jon Michael Vincent and Dolph Lundgren), or any Cynthia Luster or Cindy Rothrock movie be considered as some of the best films out there?

On D' Spot - There's something about Richard Reynoso that makes me wonder why I can't take him seriously, I mean he also appears on Aawitan Kita along with Tita Armida. Well maybe seeing him give an RPN-9 coffee mug to Jojo A when he guested there and later on seeing that same mug on Jojo's show would answer that question.

KKK - Back then this acronym used to stand Kabayo Karera Kererista but nowadays this stands for Krusada Kontra Krimen, a show that stars Joel Torre, which is basically part of GMA's propaganda, against crime, terror and the like. It's really quite entertaining though since it also gives employment to actors like Juan Rodrigo whom I remember from an 80s army drama on RPN-9 entitled Banyuhay. Anyways seeing him lash and strike a poor soul with his leather belt in made me realize that the sound of being whipped sounded like the sound of a punch delivered by FPJ to Max Alvarado.

There's more like Madam Ratsa's Ratsada Balita or Tagumpay Gonzales' show on IBC or how I found out that Video Hit Parade is still around and has outlived Video Hot Tracks, or how entertaining watching ADD and ATD at the same time, and how convenient it is to have Gem TV situated just before UNTV on Cable; or how funny the Tulfo Brothers are when they're angry on Bitag; or how I am perplexed by the fact that Motoring Today, Damayan, Ating Alamin and Business & Leisure is still around along with the freaky commercial for RA home Vision in Cash & Carry Makati is still around.

Well, anyways evolotion comes in reverse for me I guess and this is how I evolve.

For some other stuff feel free to click on these 80's nostalgia stuff that was poster here earlier

You know you're a kid of the 80s when...


Knowing That You Were Held At Gunpoint


Cheap Thrills & Garbage of the 80s

No comments: