the space in between

Why the change of name?

For those who’ve been visiting this blog it used to be called: ad maiorem Dei gloriam which is Latin for the phrase: “For the greater glory of God,” which incidentally is also the motto of the Society of Jesus or the Jesuits.

Anyways I opt to change the blog name not because I no longer want to pursue a life that is lived ad maiorem Dei gloriam, I changed it because I firmly believe that if I were to pursue such a life I ought to be honest with where exactly I am in my walk of faith or whatever you would want to call it.

After days and nights of reflection on it I realize that with all honesty I haven’t reached that life yet. I am still this selfish, and self-consumed person who writes in condescending theological language online to speak out about the things that I have read, or are still struggling with.

In short, I am still a work in progress.

I am unfinished and I am in that vast space in between beginning and completion. I am in the tension between the now and not yet.

That is why I chose to rename it from a phrase that has commonly been attributed to Victor Turner’s concept of liminality which I got acquainted to via a lecture at the seminary on The Jewish Exodus from Egypt.

This is where I find myself in –in the space in between: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition.

No comments: